Company: Areva T&D
Location: City of Tejar, Costa Rica
Company: Areva T&D
Areva T&D was acquired by Alstom of France in October of 2010. Alstom and Schneider Electric combined forces and worked as joint-solution providers for Costa Rica’s electrical transmission and distribution systems. The two companies provided solutions that enabled Costa Rica to bring electricity from the generating site to the distribution network. They built both high and medium voltage substations, and the infrastructure required to fully manage digital substations.
One example is Project Tejar. This is a main substation located in the City of Tejar, Costa Rica. The installation group chose DYMEC IEC61850 Ethernet products. The KY-3000EM switch was used to provide a high reliability backbone that was used to manage the digital substation. The switches are used as both a backbone and access switch for the substation. High reliability and High Security Ethernet is why the DYMEC product was chosen.
Generic System Diagram
- IEC61850 compliant products
- Real time transmission of GOOSE/GSSE packets
- Redundant network and a single point of failure won’t affect the entire system
- Resistant to harsh substation environments: strong EMI, extreme temperature variation, high surge, etc
To obtain the benefits of IEC 61850, the underlying communications backbone must operate reliably in harsh substation environments. That is why IEC 61850 also specifies environmental criteria for EMI immunity. Areva T&D chose DYMEC products to construct a rugged substation backbone because DYMEC has the best IEC61850-3 & IEEE1613 high security products in the world. Our ducts have also passed the full certification testing conducted by KEMA, a well respected independent consulting and testing laboratory for certification services in the energy and utility markets.
The KY-3000EM Series are industrially hardened, fully managed Ethernet switches, specifically designed to operate reliably in electrically harsh and climatically demanding utility substation and industrial environments. They support QoS and fast store and forwarding mode to ensure the real time transmission of GOOSE/GSSE packets, along with supporting VLAN for segment isolation to guarantee the real time, and reliable transmission of important data. They work in a wide temperature range of -40 to 80°C (-40 to 176°F) with a protection class of IP40.
DYMEC's KY-3000EM Series are deployed in this project to connect all of the the SEL protection relays on a fiber backbone ring using ring protocols to guarantee recovery in the event of network failure.
- 2 x 100/1000Base(X) Gigabit SFP slots
- 8 x 10/100Base-TX RJ-45 copper ports
- Supports DT-Ring protocols, RSTP and MSTP
- Supports GMRP, DHCP, SNMP, QoS SNMPv3, HTTPS, SSH/SSL enhance
- EMC design meets the requirements as specified in the IEC61850 standard.
- Supports VLAN, QoS functions to guarantee the real time transmission of important data with zero packet loss.
- Redundant ring network with fast recovery time to increase network reliability.
- Operating temperature is -40 to 80°C (-40 to 176°F).